This infographic contains more statistics on the mental health issues veterinarians face both in the United States and Australia.
Feel free to download this infographic (use the “Download” button below for the full-size image) to spread the word.
- Veterinarians are up to 4 times more likely to die by suicide than the general population (this is applicable to the UK and Australia)
- In Australia, one vet dies by suicide every 12 weeks
- A survey of 11,000 American veterinarians in 2014 found:
- 9% had severe psychological stress
- 31% had experienced depressive episodes
- 17% had experienced suicidal ideation since leaving vet school
Factors that contribute to these statistics include:
- Compassion fatigue
- Difficult client interactions
- Online attacks
- Financial burdens
An infographic with various veterinarian mental health statistics, risk compared to the general population, and prevalence of suicidal ideation.